Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tweedy Mr. Greenjeans

Well, she's done. After languishing for 3 months with only a sleeve and a button band to do, I got a push from my knitty friends and finished it. It is a GORGEOUS sweater, with the perfect yarn. I will definitely be using the Kathmandu again, it is so soft and beautiful.

Here is a pic:

Greenjeans

What? Oh you noticed that isn't me?? Yeah, that is because the sweater doesn't fit me. Again. Third time is NOT a charm to me apparently. Want proof?

Why I didn't keep it for myself

See that? Too short in the waist. Too big in the boobs.

Now, I know the pattern has issues with being too big in the chest area already. But I also stopped nursing my son, and lost 12 lbs since I started making this sweater. The combo is a sweater that just doesn't fit me. Dammit.

However, look at how good it looks on my mom who is 3 inches shorter then me:

Greenjeans

She also has big boobs, which helps. Takes the sting out of it a little bit. Plus her birthday is coming up, and I didn't know what I was going to get her, so I guess that dilemma is solved.

Back of Greenjeans

It really does look so much better on her. That picture of me up there? it was the most flattering I could find. It really isn't a great sweater for me. It would be fab if it had a smaller chest and longer waist. Will there EVER be a sweater that I will make that I can wear? (sob.)

Pattern: Mr. Greenjeans

Yarn: Queensland collection Kathmandu Aran

Needles: KP Harmony DPN's and my Denises

Notes: I got the buttons from Joann's. I lenthened the sleeves by decreasing down to 48 stitches (the sleeves actually fit my arms well) and then knitting 3 inches before starting the cabling. Also added 4 buttons instead of just one. Definitely a fun knit, but I am a slow sweater knitter because I always have so many WIPS at a time.

Thanks for visiting!!

3 comments:

Shea said...

Even though the sweater doesn't fit you, you did a fabulous job. It looks great on your mom. Just think of it this way, you enjoyed the knit and it's found a great home. Now it's time to move onto the next knit!

I can completely understand the losing body parts bit. That happened to me to after stopping nursing my youngest. My body is finally stable again, but it's taken my 2 years!

I don't know if you've seen it, but knitting daily - a blog from interweave press has been doing a series on sizing your body and body shaping. It's really interesting and extremely useful. You might look into it. You can find it here: http://www.knittingdaily.com/?ET=knittingdaily:p1050:24257a:&st=pmail
You may have to subscribe, but it's been worth it.

Glad you didn't mind my being sarcastic on knitty! :)

Shea

Emilee said...

I'm sorry the sizing didn't work out for you, but it looks great on your mom!

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Bummer that it didn't fit! It sure does look really good on your mom! Well,at least her birthday gift is taken care of!